Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Yummy411: Weekend Wrap Up, Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

Well my lovelies, I had a pleasant weekend. I braved the mall with a small window of time. I had a baby shower to attend, but I needed to make some runs that otherwise would not get done.

First, I stopped at Smashbox in Nordstrom to return my palette that I was not impressed by. It was my opportunity at a Soft Lights blush/highlighter =(( very sad, but I had to pass it up because I was not happy! LOL I didn't have time for the MA to sit me down and try on anything, but what other choice did i have if I wanted to really experience a color. In the pots, the eye shadow colors appeared ordinary, but I knew they were capable of a bit more. I sat in the chair, asked the MA for something outside of neutrals and to not do my brows (they are a challenge for anyone other than me and can be time consuming).

Here's what she came up with:



Wait for it..........................................................................



............................................................................................



............................................................................................






Are you ready? No.. wait................................................







Was she serious? I know I told her I was a bit pressed for time, but really was she effin' serious? I didn't know whether to laugh or slap her! I cleared my throat and told her that I felt the colors were too dark. I proceeded to find something else, because I knew she wasn't going to be much help. I ended up with Tint, a soft light, which actually acts like a beauty powder.. boo! That's not what I wanted. I wanted this, but they were out of stock *angry* Oh well, I have it now and I'm going to make it work. I will not exchange twice! I walked away from the counter embarrassed. I couldn't even manage to walk past the MAC counter. Someone there would notice me and think I was deranged! I immediately headed to the women's lounge to take these pics, just for you all! Bad quality photos? Doesn't matter, the makeup was some ish!

Off to return my Uppity at MAC. All of the new collections were out and so were the shoppers, but luckily enough someone was there to give me some personal attention. Score! The MA agreed that Uppity was nothing to write home about. I returned it and used the price against a beauty powder, Sunspill. The only beauty powder that stood out to me. It's the same one Divine Blackness got =)

Here's a swatch:
Close to my coloring, a bit of sparkle. Can you see it? I now want a few other beauty powders to mix and match =))
I also decided to keep my Engaging mineralized eye shadow. It's so beautiful, in the pot of course! It was so sheer after applying, I was very unsatisfied and wanted something else. However, I pulled out some bases and tried to make it work. Concealer didn't do the job, didn't try UDPP, but did try my Shimmersand shadestick! Bingo!
Here's a swatch (Engaging m/e/s over Shimmersand on left, Engaging alone on skin to the right):
Alot better, right?





As I'm blogging, I'm watching the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show on CBS. Here's the recap: Beautiful wings and women who started out as Brazilian babies, who now aspire to be mothers of a gang of children. LOL I'm sorry, but all of the profiles said that the girls hailed from Brazil, discovered at 14 or 15 and now they all hope to be mothers of many children in the near future. Did I lie or something? The Spice Girls lip sanc (is that the past tense for sync?) a very pop, bubble gum, light spirited number. Yes, the Spice Girls that I remember!

I want to give a shout out to Melanie G, who I saw at the baby shower. She told me that she frequently checks the blog for updates. Thank you so much for your support! It really means a lot to me.
Great weekend folks! How was your weekend?

14 comments:

Atiyah said...

See this is why I am scared of makeup counters. When they ask if they can help me I always say No thanks, I am just looking. I don't want to look like the ladies at the MAC counter they are too made up for me. {deep sigh}

Anonymous said...

LOL! at your whole make-up experience this weekend. Poor thing ;o( I let a MA at the MAC counter do my make-up once and just as I suspected, I was HIGHLY disappointed. My friend and her daughter were getting there's done at one of the launch events in Nordstrom so I didn't want to be a party pooper and joined in. I already knew it wasn't going to be pretty (pun intended) and as you stated I could guarantee that she wouldn't do my eyebrows correctly. It was a mess! And this chick was actually the manager there! I was so embarrassed for her! I couldn't wait to get home and wash it off! I really looked like a clown!!!!

That shimmersand made a huge difference with the Engaging eye shadow. Looks great! You're so clever ;o)

yummy411 said...

hey atiyah! i guess you can never know. the MA's makeup looked reasonable. i don't know what happened when she did my face. i was expecting something different coming from Smashbox =(

Shawnta said...

OMG!!! You sacifaced walking all the way to the lounge with that ish on for us!!!! You really love us girl! LOL What was she doing? Trying to match you coat!

yummy411 said...

blogger is acting up something funky. it showed my reply to baby doll, but now it doesn't.. what the heck is up?

ok...

@ baby doll: a lot of times makeup artists crap on sales assistants at the counter, saying that they aren't real artists. i beg to differ. besides, you have to get your experience some where. unfortunately, we may end up with bad beginners.

@ shawnta: yes girl, i did! i do love you all! i don't know what the heck she was doing. by the way she was applying it, it felt like she might have screwed up and was tyring to make something out of it. =/

Beth said...

oh, you poor thing! What was she thinking?! I have Engaging too, so I am definately going to try it with a shadstick... gotta have that intense shine sometimes! Love your stuff, keep it up girl!

B said...

Well...the Smashbox look isn't BAD, Yums.. Uh, just different. I agree the colors are a bit too dark. Never been the "tell it like it is" kinda friend. Always tryna find the bright side! Well...how 'bout this: at least you know what DOESN'T work! LOL!

Yaaay to SunSpill...I still haven't played it. I don't know what my problem is. LOL, I'll get up on it soon. Hopefully you'll play too and post your reviews!

Mannn, engaging is fab. I can't believe the difference the stick made. Wow. I may need to cop this before it runs out.

Hidden Fact: I love love LOVE the Spice Girls.

Peace Yums....it's hump day. Halfway there 'til the weekend!

B said...

OH....I forgot to add, whenever you're ready to make a video of the hair, just let me know! Once upon a time I used to be a Production major so I know a little somethin'-somethin'. HA!

Anonymous said...

Oh Good Lawd, Yums! *Le sigh* Well the good news is you're still absolutely gorgeous. And I was reading your posts below and I have to say your eyebrows are THE BOMB! I'ma need to start studying your blog more often! ;)

yummy411 said...

@ beth: thanks hon! you are too cute in your avatar pic =)

@ divine blackness: thanks for being a NICE friend! I haven't played in it either. now i'm starting not to like orangy colors for my face. eyes, yes, face, no =(

about engaging. i'm glad that i wasn't so quick to return. now if i can do an eye look, i will have really gotten my money's worth =)

seriously, i'm a spice girl fan too. i actually like cheesy, bubble gum music. my all time fav... the cardigans- lovefool =))

yay for production majors! ok tell me what did you major in? education?

B said...

Whatcho know 'bout The Cardigans? Okayyyy, if you say you like Barry Manilow, some Beatles hits and The Beach Boys, then I will just die!

You would think with me being an educator that I was an education major, right? Nope, I've fallen into the statistics that say 70% of graduating students don't work in the area of their degrees. I'm an African Studies major. History, namely. A useless degree but a life changing one. Planning on obtaining my MA in Public Health. Trying to get some things right in the areas of health care for Black/minority women. A true passion of mine.

Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net said...

I am digging Sunspill. I don't have it (yet) but it does look tempting. And I'm glad you found a way for Engaging to work for you. The colors look amazing over the shadestick! Great discovery!

Uche W said...

I love this post! I have to say that I was one of those ladies at the counter but I would always ask for the persons opinions as I was doing there face. Some ladies are just hard to please but I dont know what that artist was thinking...
Way to go on braving the counters though hey, thats how I got my a lot of my expereience

yummy411 said...

@ divine blackness: i'm def with you on the beach boys!!! "jamaica ooh i wanna take you to bermuda, bahamas come on pretty mama!!" that will always be a fav!

fabulous girl! do your things.. i did communications and now i'm in the legal field/law enforcement.. not quite my thing.

@ mrs lynne: i'll be posting my engaging fotd soon!

@ beauty by uche: thank you! that's why i can't be too upset. i'm in the same boat.. needing and wanting experience =) thanks for the feedback!