Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Yummy411: Reader question- skincare regimen, choosing foundation

I got a reader question! I love them! Keep them coming! This one is from Karla:

"Hi Yummy 411: Let me say that I love your blog. Your instructional posts and product recommendations have been more than helpful. I have two questions. First, what is your skin regime? What products do you use? Your skin looks great. Lastly, even though I use MAC products I'm interested in the Cover Girl queen collection. How do I pick a foundation? My skin color is a little darker than yours. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Take care,

Karla"

Hi Karla! Thank you Karla and thanks for reading. I'm glad you find the blog useful!

First question: my skin regimen. I hope I don't disappoint you Karla, but it's nothing fancy. I use CVS (like Walgreens or Duane's depending on your region) daily pore oil-free facial cleanser with micro scrubbers. It's gentle, lathers, smells nice, and exfoliates at a great price. It simply gets the job done. Some formulas of gentle exfoliators aren't as gentle, the beads/scrubbers are sparse, this one gets it just right in my opinion. Next, I tone with Nivea Visage Alcohol Free Moisturizing Toner. It's the winter, so I prefer products that will help embed some moisture. Lastly, I use whatever sample moisturizer I have laying around. If I don't have a great FGWP (free gift with purchase) Lancome spf sample laying around, I like to use CVS light facial moisturizer or Johnson and Johnson's Clean and Clear facial moisturizer. When my skin is feeling especially dry, I'll use an Oil of Olay sensitive skin moisturizer. I would love to use other products but for daily, constant use I need to be able to get products at the drop of a dime.


Second question: how to choose a foundation, particularly the CoverGirl foundations from the Queen Collection. Great choice! First, have you decided what coverage you like? Powder or oil-free liquid for light to medium coverage for all skin types (use together for even more coverage) and oil-free cream foundation for medium to heavy coverage (not the heaviest of coverages that may be offered at the counters) for normal to combination skin. It states that it is oil free, but for oily skin it might feel a bit uncomfortable or at least use it during colder weather.

Now after deciding which formula is right for you, it's time to decide on the color. In the drugstore it's a bit harder, but doable. Find two or three colors that are close to your skin tone. At home, do the (two or) three stripe test on the jaw to get a good match between face and neck.

Which foundation would be good for me?


Here are the shades blended out a bit. What do you think?

Clearly, the first one would be too dark for me. The second and third actually work. It's just my preference on which one I will use. I actually like a bit of color so I use the second color. After finding the right color for you, try the foundation by applying a sheer layer. Not enough coverage? Layer once more. Remember the liquid can be used with a powder on top to keep shine away and for a bit more coverage.

Now, you can either return the other foundations that you've decided weren't matches for you or keep the slightly darker color for the summer time when you will become a shade or two darker. I use (and two of the colors pictured above are) Rich Sand and Amber Glow. You may choose to go a bit darker and use Classic Bronze or Almond Glow. Good luck to you! I hope this helps!

[ETA] Tips: for those of you that have been dabbling in foundation a bit, but need a little more help.

1. We've tried the jaw test to see what color works. Now when applying, remember to do swatches of the foundation on the forehead, nose, cheeks and chin and blend outward. By the time the foundation makes it to the jaw, hairline, etc. it's sheer and barely there eliminating the mask look.

2. Does it feel thick or cakey? Maybe you've applied too much? Sheer it out with moisturizer (Use oil-free moisturizer if you have oily skin.) or MAC's Fix +. Dab the moisturizer in spots on your face or pick it up with the brush/sponge and continue to blend out the foundation. If you use the Fix +, spray your brush or sponge with it a few times (to saturate it a touch) and continue to blend it out. Are you using powder only? Does the powder look to powdery or cakey. Use the Fix + as a finishing spray to bring down the dull powder look.

3. Brushes. Use whatever you feel comfortable with. Different tools give different results, however, using moisturizer/Fix + and a bit of the foundation keeps the application light and layerable. I personally love MAC's #109 (application and buffing in one) and #187 (light application) . A sponge does the job, but I find it eats (soaks up) the product. Don't be afraid to use a finger to dab or help blend spots as needed.

4. Lastly, if you just can't get the application and color down, visit a counter. Ask questions, takes notes if you have to. Take those suggestions and run with it! *Smile*

This doesn't come over night. Just takes a little practice. I want to thank my sister Antoinette and Nikkia for the answers to my questions, suggestions and even using their faces for practice!!

15 comments:

Christiana Divine @ Memoirs of A Shopping Addict said...

this is a great post! :] this is exactly how they showed it in one of the makeup books i've got. :P hehe. :]

B said...

I have always struggled with what to do when selecting foundations from a drugstore. That's why I don't have any because I'm afraid that the color will be off. But now I know what to do. My sis, Yums.....loves ya!

yummy411 said...

@ christianadivine: thanks! lol, it works!

@ divine blackness: i hope this works out for you if you ever decide on a drugstore foundation! love ya back sis!

Seymone said...

Very informative.. This should help alot of people

na said...

Hi! First time posting, so just wanted to say hi. :)

This is such a great, informative post! I don't buy drugstore foundation because I'm terrible at matching, but you make it look so easy! :)

nilla cookie said...

Awesome tips, Yummy! Love the tip about using moisturizer for thick and cakey foundation :)

Anonymous said...

Great post hunni! I couldn't have said it any better myself. You were born to do this. Smooches!! Love ya!!

yummy411 said...

@ seymone: thanks!

@ emily @ gmm: hi! thanks for dropping by and saying hello! thanks! do try.. there's some good stuff out there. i hear the maybelline minerals are hot.

@ nilla cookie: thanks nills!

@ antoinete: thanks!i'm only following in your footsteps! happy birthday!

Vanessa said...

Very helpful! Thanks so much Kia! Stay gorgeous and have an awesome week!

yummy411 said...

vanessa, i'm glad it can help! you keep pushing your avon and enjoy the rest of the week as well... hahaha! love ya girlie!

Nikkia Chanel said...

Great Post!!!
This information was very helpful. Now I think I'll go out and purchase a few Queen collection foundations and test them out.

yummy411 said...

hey nikkia. i hope you find something you like!

Anonymous said...

This fine post and your cosmetic choice is very outstanding. It would be the useful guidance for the people seeking good cosmetic products.

Pooja said...

This is a great post. Very helpful :)

Personal Injury Lawyer San Marcos said...

While doing your makeup, the most important step (for me) is choosing the right foundation. Be careful because the foundation is like a double edged sword, it could gives you an amazing look if you make the right choice but on the other hand it could destroy your beauty if you choose one that is not matching with your skin and you will look gross of course.