Tuesday, April 17, 2007

confessions of 'me time'


Here's another confession, since I realized my last confession* is totally normal amongst makeup junkies: I'm confessing about my 'me time.' Ah finally! Some me time! How do I spend the quiet moments without BabyYum and the daily stresses of life? I kick back with fruit and raw cookie dough (coconut macaroon) and watch some YouTube makeup tutorials... I don't know if that's a good or bad thing-- ok obviously the macaroons are bad, bad, bad, but what the hell!

I love most of YouTube's makeup tutorials, because they are by real people using products that are accessible to me. The latest videos I've watched are from a user named xsparkage. She's fun, a non-perfectionist and likes spunky makeup! Her dialogue and instructions are easy going and aren't loaded with a bunch of intimidating MUA jargon... she just shows us how to do it!

Miss Xsparkage has introduced me to a few new items that are going on my forever growing 'must have' list:

  • MAC brush #217- pencil brush for lining, and getting in small areas like the inner corner

  • MAC brush #219- a fat rounded shader/blender brush that helps with blending of color and highlighting of the brow. I think my favorite brush* right now is comparable, but I shall compare!

  • I must break down and buy a mixing medium (or make some with glycerin and water) if I want to continue to purchase pigments. It will help the color payoff.

I think the cookie dough is giving me heartburn =p Off to bed!

*To access linked articles that are on my site, click the 'entries' tab on my home page located on the navigation menu, left side. You will then see the linked article.


applediva said...


First of all, I was not aware that youtube.com has make-up tutorials. Do you have any tutorials uploaded to YouTube? If not, you should!!! I became a M.A.C lover in the late 90s, and I became a full-blown addict in 2005. They tried to make me go rehab, but I said, "no, no, no!!" (See Amy Winehouse) I have the 217 and 224, among others, and I loves them. Please get the 217 pronto!!

yummy411 said...

hey applediva! yes, there are tutorials on youtube. oh no.. am i feeding our terrible addiction here? i did a post on it a while back. no, i don't have any tutorials up. i hate the sound of my voice and i don't have a real camcorder. check out the existing videos though. there are some cool ones!

yummy411 said...

oh apple! we must compare notes on our mac stuff.. i'll email you =)

applediva said...


I was reading on the "Specktra" site about people purchasing paint brushes to apply their make-up. Have you tried that?ei

yummy411 said...

hey i haven't, only because the nearest 'art store' is out of my way. i did however steal a slim brush from my sister's boyfriend who was painting to use as an eyeliner brush, heehe.