Wednesday, April 01, 2009

So long, dear L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black


I walk up to the podium, with tears welling in my eyes, choked up, not sure if I'm able to form the words.....


For so long, you've been my mascara by default earning the title of my Holy
Grail mascara. You've provided me with the false lash look, plumping
my lashes with extreme volume (just my style a mildly thick formula with a bit
of clump and a decent brush), giving them a sooty black color to which no other
drugstore mascara could compare. Yes, the drugstore. You are even
available at the drugstore. *Sob* You held curl when needed and
just made me understand the importance of mascara. I've tried others, even
laid my wallet on the line wondering if I'd find something better. I always *excuse me* came.. back.. to you.. *weep* With growing
complications, I knew that we couldn't last forever. Now is the time that
we must part. You'll always have your special place in my makeup bag when
times get rough, but for now, I must say so long, dear L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon
Black.

That's right folks, it's official. I have to let the L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black go. As much as this pains me, I need something else. Since wearing makeup alot these last few years, I believe my eyes have grown terribly sensitive. They tear, feel tired, weary and heavy when I wear L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black. Can you imagine the agony when trying to go out at night? I'd even have to Visine my eyes to get rid of the redness. This has also been the case even after opening a new tube. I googled with fervor trying to find answers. No luck. So, I'm resorting to moving on. Can't believe I've found my HG mascara and it turned on me!

A while back when I ran out of my tube of Voluminous, I had quite a few other mascaras in my makeup bag for testing:
-L'Oreal Double Extend Tube mascara
- Maybelline Define a Lash
-Maybelline Colossal
-Maybelline XXL (2 step mascara)

Which of these did I use most often?

18 comments:

Celia said...

I really love Colossal even though most don't.

BUT...
I HATE L'oreal double extend tube. HATE! They make my normal lashes look effin' thin.

Have you tried L'Oreal HIP voluminous?

yummy411 said...

celly, i like colossal too. while i'm not as impressed with the double extend mascara, i do love how the mascara is removed. soooooo much better than freaking smudging (i mean if you don't have MAC wipes) ;)

Robyn @ Purely Cosmetics said...

Have you tried Blinc yet? I was wearing the Double Extend, but it was really drying my lashes out. Blinc doesn't seem to do the same thing. Isn't as volumous (sp?) unless you use the primer too; then it works great. What I'm really going ga ga over is their heated lash curler!

Unknown said...

I'm surprised this mascara worked well for you. I bought it once and it did nothing for me. It seemed dry and.... blehhhh. I'm not good at picking mascara... which is why i'm always wearing falsies. haha.

I hope you find another HG mascara that will suit you. (:

Jamilla Camel said...

Try the L'Oreal Voluminous Naturale!! It really works for me.

Coffee said...

I can't part with my Cover Girl Lash Blast! I have nappy lashes (I'm so serious...lol) and this is the only one that looks decent on me!

Pink Sith said...

I love the Maybelline Colossal Volume. In that hideous yellow tube. It smells awful as well. But I overlook all of that b/c it works really well for me. I hated the Maybelline XXL. Made my lashes lose all their curl...and it was a PITA to do the primer, (which is white! Why not a black primer for black mascara huh?) then the mascara. Good luck w/ finding a new HG!

Shana Janelle said...

Have you tried Maybelline Lash Stylist? I swear by it! I also use Blinc from time to time as Robyn mentioned but its not for that falsie look, just a regular my lashes but better look.

@ Robyn - I am totally confused by the lash curler (I have it too) I think the reason is because my lashes are already curly...

Avartsy said...

lol...u went on a hiatus only to come back more dramatic...love it lady! i say the xxl, colossal did nothing for me, haven't tried the other two...max factor vol couture and the xxl are the ones i have in rotation right now...

Anonymous said...

have you considered looking up ur cosmetics on the compact for safe cosmetics? the mascara was prolly effing up ur eyes bec they use all kinds of wonky stuff...

tnt

SweetBonita said...

sorry to hear you're breaking up with your mascara *sad face*
maybe you two can work things out after some time apart?
lol...

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I like XXL, anything with the primer then the mascara is great for my lashes!

yummy411 said...

ugh! my internet closed right when i had finished all of my responses...

@ robyn: i'll add blinc to my to-try list

@ tina marie online: you'd be surprised at how many artist LOVE loreal voluminous. i'm with you though on the lashes.. i love wearing lashes to go out.

@ jamilla camel: thanks! but i'll check the ingredients first. i wonder how similar they are.

@ coffee: i love lashblast too. i actually put that in my kit.. why haven't i thought about buying it for myself? hmm duh! lol two of my sisters have uber curly, wild lashes... one of them, her lashes are long, the other one has super short lashes..

@ elvira: yeh i like colossal too! i hated two step mascaras but i found an appreciation for the xxl..

@ shana: i haven't tried lash stylist only because i loved the comb mascara by rimmel.. however, rimmel flaked on me and i had to do a lot of combing after

@ avartsy: LOL you know finding an HG product has its emotional attachments! LMAO! great guess! i shall reveal soon!

@ anon: yup sure did trying to find the culprit. of course with the other 1000 mascaras they had general warnings like causing cancer and liver disease. sigh, but this is the only one that's ever made my eyes water and turn red.

@ sweet bonita: thanks lol..i hope it works out like that!

@ join the gossip: xxl was the first mascara to make me appreciate primers.. so it will have a place in my heart ;)

Ugochi @ Beauty 365 said...

aww, so sorry :( i'm sure you will find something even better! and, when you do -- let us know!

♥ Ms. Kendall ♥ said...

WHAT!! WHAT!!! I've never read a blog post before that has made my eyes well up with tears.. OMG! OMG!! I need a Xanax!!!! I'm going to have to stock up on my HG Mascara like a squirrel stocking up on nuts in the fall for winter. My day is ruined.
XoXo

♥ Ms. Kendall ♥ said...

Wait, is this an April fools joke? I'm about to order two 3 packs from Amazon.com

Distinque said...

It's my HG mascara! The whole Voluminous line. I have about 7 backups of them. LOL I go crazy when they go on sale.

Unknown said...

I use the XXL one in black and gold. It's a fine mascara. You may want to try Bare Naturale mascara from L'Oreal. It's for sensitive eyes people, I guess.