Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Yummy411: Pretty in Lancome's Pixel Pink

The latest Lancome cult favorite was the Gucci Westman's Pixel Pink for Thakoon. I wanted in on the frenzy as I'm a makeup junkie, collector, etc. The pictures were inticing. A low maintenance, no fuss pink that can be as natural as you, but with a pop!


(photo credit)



Well I caved (thanks in part to Toya)....


(Please excuse the brows. I need an appointment with Mindy terribly so that she can save me from myself!) I think the color actually works in the pictures, but in real life the color is shifty, moisturizing (I think that is the code word for THIN) and more like a MAC glaze lipstick, particularly the ones we've seen with Fafi-- bright colors, but thin almost like a lipgloss. Pixel pink really pops. It is described as a sheer, wearable raspberry. I love color- bright, bold, soft or mute, but this color is not to my liking. I think the drawback is the formula that is used. In MAC terms, I prefer a amplified cream or satin, sometimes even a frost here and there. I just can't get down with colors that are loose all over the lips. (Will I hate Slimshines?) At times, the formula feels too thin for a liner to blend seamlessly, but not gel enough to be a lipgloss. In the pictures, I blotted my lips to take away the shine. This way, for me it's a bit more wearable, but unfortunately looks eaten away. Perhaps, I could have used a similar lipstick as a liner. The packaging is so pretty! I really want to love this. My first collector's edition Lancome Pout a Porter lippie. Any tips on making this work? You all know I tried priming my lips. I'll try a couple more of my neutral lipsticks as bases and liner and see what I come up with. Count down to a return........? By the way, I'm wearing Fashion Frenzy blush applied with a MAC #187 brush.

For: people who don't wear lipsticks a lot, but are looking for color in their spring makeup wardrobe.

Not for: those who prefer creamy to matte lipsticks

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I haven't even put up my review yet, but after having tried it out this weekend, I am feeling you. I'm not in love with it at all. I get the idea and think it could have been good, but with the execution, it just ... isn't. I'm so disappointed because I loved the P.S. Kiss, but Pixel Pink is not a fave.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, that pink is ok-ish. I don't think I like it on you. Too matte, too lip-colored. BUT the packaging is so darn pretty OMG!


*BTW, linking you today :)*

nilla cookie said...

Aww, I'm sad that it didn't work for you. I'm actually in LOVE with my Pixel Pink and I'm working on a post for it right now.

I agree that the formula is a little thin, but that's what I love about it. I don't need a lip liner or anything, it's just sheer with a little pop of color.

I definitely think that MAC Slimshines will do you justice though!!

Seymone said...

hey yums.. This lipstick looks like your regular lip color. I think it stll looks cute on you. Is there a gloss feature for this lipstick.I really like the blush on you.

Mischo Beauty said...

Hmmmm... thanks for the heads-up on that one! You are ON POINT with the break down of the glosses vs. matte lipsticks vs. cream lipsticks etc... AND you're making me want to get the Fashion Frenzy blush! LOL! Love the post. Oh and don't forget to check out Stefan at the Georgetown M.A.C!

yummy411 said...

@ toya: i need to see your review... you owe me! *wink*

@ juvenescent: i agree. it's actually more shiny, but i can't wear thin lipsticks like that. i want it for the packaging, but it's disappointing that it's not totally wearable =( i'll return the link love!

@ nilla cookie: i can't wait to see your review! lucky you that it works for you! i'll still check out the slimshines =)

@ seymone: hey sey sey! lol.. yeh the lipstick is "glossy" "shiny" whatever they like to call it, but this is weable compared to what it's like full on. maybe i need to add a pic with it on all on. did you get a blush?

@ mischo beauty: thanks my dear ;) you've gotta get the blushes! they are so much fun! i will def check him out. possibly tomorrow!

@

Anonymous said...

Not yet Yums.. The only blushes I bought were the FAFI but I am taking a trip to baltimore this weekend, so if I dont do that then I will buy some creme base blushes.

BabyDoll said...

If you are going for the light, barely there natural look then it works. If not...eh.

BTW, I am up for the 80's challenge! Let me know the details...did you get enough people?

Vanessa said...

OOOH! I love lippies! Looks great! I hate when things don't work out and you are TRYING to make it work! LOL..

Talysha said...

I actually kinda like this look. The fact that it is a sheer lippie does it for me. I'm not a big lipstick fan, so this is right up my alley. The color looks great on you by the way and the blush you chose is divine. =)

sweetscentsandmakeup said...

Hey there, I don't think the colour very spectacular either...I agree with you on the MAC amplified creams; nice, bright, non-drying.

yummy411 said...

@ seymone: sorry about that last comment. looks like i was talking jibberish lol

@ baby doll: thanks! cool new avatar pic ;) yay! 80's challenge baby! i think with you confirming we have more than our goal =) i'll say for sure on feb 22.

@ vanessa: yeh i know! dance sing! i don't want to pimp the lipstick! let the lipstick work!

@ talysha: great! thanks! i guess i'm right on my review. not for the real lipstick wearers, but for those who don't and just want a little color. =) i love this blush!

yummy411 said...

nadine: thanks for the feedback! thanks for stopping by my blog!

(g)ezebel said...

wow! your lips look sooo pretty with this lipstick. i want, i want! unfortunately, i have a naturally ruddy lip pigmentation and pink NEVER looks pink on me. *sighs*

yummy411 said...

awww, i'm sorry that this wouldn't work for you. glad you like it =) thanks for dropping by!

Anonymous said...

I like Pixel Pink on me, but I also don't mind slippery thin lipsticks. (Just gives me an excuse to bring out my tube again to reapply!)

How have you been?!

yummy411 said...

hi erika! i'm glad that Pixel Pink works for you!

i've been doing well. how have you been? Bailey is doing so well taking after her mom.

thanks for dropping by!

♡ Nic Nic ♡ said...

Hi I found you on Vanessa's site - you have such pretty eyes! the lipstick looks great on you :)

yummy411 said...

hi nic nic! thanks for stopping by! thank you so much!!

Dollfaced Rebel said...

Hi There!

I linked you to my blog... I'm still getting it started!

yummy411 said...

dollfaced rebel... thank you! i'll reciprocate the love!