Friday, January 27, 2012

Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme Lash Mascara in Indigo Review

Estee Lauder's Topaz Collection  for Spring (2012) is all the rage right now with bronzey hues and turquoise.  Their Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelee in Topaz is the star of the collection-- a beautiful compact powder that blends a gel and powder for an enriched bronze color.  Creative Makeup Director Tom Picheaux, gives us bold colors in a chic way, befitting of the Lauder brand. 

I went, I saw and I didn't walk away with anything from the collection.  *Sad face* The powder gelee compact was so gorgeous, but for me, the color was so rich it was more of a copper eye shadow than a bronze dusting for my face.  The shadows in the collection are to die for. I couldn't pick one!  I wish those came in a palette form!

However, I walked away with the Sumptuous Extreme Lash Mascara in Indigo ($23.50).  Let's take a look at it!

From Estee Lauder's site:
Lashes seem to multiply, magnify, grow to extremes.
Three different high-volume fibers create audacious, false-lash effects.

THE FORMULA
Extreme Bold Volume™ formula is a blend of three high-volume fibers in a mousse-light base.
Acts like lash extensions multiplying and growing the look of lashes. Fortified with conditioning Lash-Advancing Vitamin Complex. Ophthalmologist tested.  Fragrance free.

THE BRUSH
Oversized BrushComber Extreme™ with two types of bristles-flexible fibers carry maximum formula; solid fibers comb and separate for clump-free definition.

THE COLOR IMPACT
Prismatic pearls intensify pigment and luster. Eyes look brighter, wider, more seductive.

THE LOOK
Outrageous volume, lift and curves for an audacious, false-lash effect.


Pros:
  • Gorgeous conservative blue color
  • Nice sized brush.  Not too big or small, but does fall on the larger end of brushes
  • The formula is not heavy on the eyes
  • Standard- no smudging, flaking, no serious clumping issues...
Cons:
  • As a lengthening and volumizing mascara, none of the claims are met.
  • Price



Before lashes

After lashes

After lashes with flash

Mascara (with makeup look)  on top of Maybelline Falsies mascara

I'm mostly impressed with the color.  I own Dior Show mascara in Azure.  That is electric cobalt mascara.    Super gorg, but not for the faint at heart nor anyone wanting to add a little spice to their makeup at work.  With EL's indigo, I felt very comfortable at work with this on.  The appearance of the color of this mascara ranges as a tint to the lashes to a soft colored mascara.   At a few feets length, the color can be seen, but not super noticeable.  A few more feet and it appeared that I had on blue liner.  In the sun, I had blue lashes, but nothing clownish.

While I'm impressed with the color, I still wanted the mascara to deliver in at least the volumizing department.  Without the mascara meeting the claims, I was very disappointed.  I have been using the indigo over my regular black, but i think that takes away from the color.  I will use primer before using this mascara.  I may not repurchase this.  I'm hoping to be blown away by the combination of primer and the color of this mascara.

Do you have this mascara?  What's your favorite colored mascara?

6 comments:

Crystal said...

I also looove diorshow azure especially with a no longer available blue pencil in thesame electrical blue shade. I do think that volume mascara's always let me down the first week I use them, maybe too much formula on the brush? not sure, but if you are looking for a not too expensive dramatic volume mascara, try Pupa's diva's lashes in blue. So hapy to find colored mascara lovers lol :)

Atiyah said...

I love mascara with color! I might have to pick this up.

socialitedreams said...

it looks really pretty, but for a cheap good alternative, i like the lasplash colored mascaras :)

janel said...

heyn kia: sorry that this mascara didn't live up to expectations. on the plus side, the color is gorgeous! right now i'm loving the voluminous million lashes; i want to try the false lash effect one soon!

Imo said...

THis looks absolutely beautiful on your eyes x

yummy411 said...

@ Crystal: thanks for the suggestion!

@ atiyah: glad you like it. i'll use this for color only :/

@ socialite dreasms: thanks chica! i didn't know they made colored mascara!

@ janel: i just reviewed the voluminous false fiber and now i'm wanting to try the million lashes mascara, lol!

@ imo: thanks girl!